Sunday 15 July 2012

Macro Monday - Golden Orb Spinning Spider

This rather impressive beast is a female Golden Orb Spinning Spider. You can tell is a female because it’s huge!  The bodies of the males are only 6mm long but the females are much larger, with bodies up to 50mm long and leg-spans reaching 200mm or more.
I have been told it’s the largest web spinning spider in the world. They have been seen to catch small birds and slight larger snakes! The silk they use to weave their webs often has a yellow colour - much like dried pasta - hence their common name.
I found this young lady in the Daintree Rainforest, north of Cairns in Queensland.  As you can imagine not everybody who walked by as I was taking this picture was pleased to see her!
You can find more macro shots at Macro Monday.
You can find the latest post to my other blog by clicking the Paying Ready Attention image on the RHS of the screen.
Enjoy the close ups.

14 comments:

  1. Yes, I can imagine others were not pleased to see her! I find her quite fascinating, are they poisonous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have big spiders maybe more scary than that! I just forgot now its name but i've posted it a few times before. I previously thought those small ones near it are the babies, but recently learned they are the males! They are really extremely small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really cool 'wingspan' on that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a BIG spider and what a terrific capture, Stewart!! Fascinating indeed! I love how you've captured her web "home", too! Great one for the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Oh! Am I ready for those monsters?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic shot, Stewart! I've never seen a spider that large in person. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stewart, I'm new to Macro Monday but not new to spider bites..twice I have been bitten by the horrible creature and once in the ER...I'm now following you as I think your spiders are not only facinating but I might learn something! I do take macro photo's of spiders and I pray they stay put
    as I do..Yuck..enjoy your week..

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a huge spider! Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a big spider! Great capture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like spiders (when they're outside)! Lovely macro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great shot! that spider is huge!

    Dropping by from Macro Monday…Flowers in the Morning

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's gorgeous, but I'm thankful we only have small spiders around here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic shot, Stewart! She's a beauty - from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an amazing shot! I feel creeped out by spiders, but they are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete