Thursday 8 September 2011

A Ten Minute Sky (Friday Skies)

I think that photography can become a trap, where we look for the perfect and the remarkable and in doing so we miss the splendour of the ordinary. I think this comes to the fore when you are looking at birds – common, but splendid birds are overlooked in favour of dull birds, who’s only claim to fame is rarity. But I think it also get get hold of you when you take landscapes - or in this case "skyscapes".





So, armed with my camera I set a time – pretty much as soon as I had this idea actually - and I stood in the garden for 10 minutes. During that time I photographed whatever happened to happening in the sky. These are some of the results. I think it made me look harder to find things – and in doing so I found things I would have normally overlooked!










So, what do you think!


You can find more skies (probably without all the self indulgent thinking / introspection stuff!) here. You can find the latest post on my other blog by clicking the "Paying Ready Attention" link on the RHS of the screen

Enjoy the skies be they remarkable or everyday!

16 comments:

  1. Looking at the blue sky, imagining designs in the clouds, we rested our senses.
    Beautiful photos!

    oa.s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you got some terrific captures of some gorgeous clouds and skies! Definitely a well spent ten minutes, Stewart! Hope you have a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvellous shots! I love the "ordinary", it oftens turns out to be extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a brilliant idea! I love the clouds when they are all puffy like that, and tinged with sunset pink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the introspective stuff -- which is why I like your other blog. And I wouldn't call it self-indulgent at all. It's making us all think. I know that digital cameras have helped me to SEE more-- and I guess that does include the ordinary. (I take a lot of pictures of weeds.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful capture. My fave is the second to the last photo. Thanks for naming the blue bird you got it right!! ^_^

    Sky View

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful clouds, and a pretty pink. Ours have been pretty black lately! Lovely photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a 10 minute meditation on the clouds
    simply superb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the puffiness of these clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for those beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are lovely especially the third one, looks like you could sit on it - it is so puffy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great concept - and of course the 'ordinary' sky you've captured looks amazing!! I'm often discouraged by other people's magnificent photos when mine are 'ordinary' - but I've found through my blog that my 'ordinary' is someone else's 'exotic'!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right - that's why I'll never be a tripod sort of photographer. The sky is an endless source of delight. On my walk to and from work I wonder why more people don't look up at the sky instead of staring glumly ahead or at the pavement.

    ReplyDelete