Monday 14 February 2011

World Bird Wednesday (2)- Black-shouldered Kite

Last year I visited Perth (Western Australia) for the first time. Its as far from Perth to Melbourne as it is from London to Istanbul - so it a decent trip.

One evening whilst walking by the Swan River I noticed this Black-Shouldered Kite - and it seemed it noticed me! This has to be one of the most clear cases I have been involved in where I was both watching and watched. I was bird watching and the bird was human watching.











































These have become some of my favourite images I have taken.

You can see the blog post that originally featured these images here, and you can look at the most recent of my posts by clicking the Paying Ready Attention link on the RHS of the screen.

You can find many more images of birds from around the world at World Bird Wednesday.

11 comments:

  1. Great photos. The more closely I watch birds the more I am aware that they definitely watch me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely images. I think the first picture is fantastic I love him lookig straight at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!!! Ive never seen this kite, the Mississippi Kite is the one I have seen...HE was obviously watching you as you were watching him--Birds are SO intelligent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have several kites around here, I love watching them hunt. I like that first shot, he does seem to have his eye on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sees you! Nice flight captures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. super series of shots, agreed the first is pure magic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job of tracking the bird in flight! We all know that's a tough assignment. The raptor always has it's eye on you, no question!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully captured! It's one bird I'd love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black-shouldered Kite! How cool ! That first shot is pretty awesome - love that he's checking you out, cool angle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible shot that first one Stewart! Wow, what a look. I love kites. We have the very similar White-tailed Kite in the states. What gorgeous birds with those penetrating red eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting, I wonder more Melbourne people visit New Zealand than to perth.

    You coming for the World Cup?

    ReplyDelete